So decided to try and go back to school

A place to discuss non-reef related topics.

So decided to try and go back to school

Postby Selt1018 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 am

I dreamed as a child of getting into Marine Biology and Marine Science. I am starting to research a class/course plan to pursue that dream. It is funny when I got into the saltwater hobby it didn't even register to me that that dream was still there. A friend recently reminded me of that and that even at my age it isn't too late to follow a dream if its still there.

So if anyone has any good sites to do research on. What I need to start with is finding a school that will accept a 40+ yr old with only a few Phys Ed credits from JSRCC. Or that the credits will transfer like if I started back at JSRCC just to get some basic courses out of the way. I also need to start researching where to start as far setting my course schedule and a plan.

I saw my first book on the ocean at my moms house the other day. I was just learning to read at the time.
Selt1018

Title: Well hello Mister Fancypants

Re: So decided to try and go back to school

Postby phurst » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 pm

That's awesome Kevin! I have zero advice for you, but I think that's really, really cool :thumbup:

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.
phurst
Site Admin

Title: Professional Fish Walker

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:55 pm

University of Maryland, University College has a HUGE online presence as they service most of the military. You might look there to see if they have online degree programs.

Biggest downside would be the out of state tuition.

Virginia schools used to be pretty poor in the online, adult-oriented education (i.e. classes at night or as-you-go online), but they may have upped their game in the last few years.
GeorgeW

Title: Legatus Legionis

Postby PRDubois » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 pm

ODU has a Richmond campus
PRDubois

Title: ATB-USA.com

Postby Selt1018 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for the information I will start there. With looking for online and at ODU. I was looking online for lists of courses required or recommended and found a couple that I could print out to get an idea. One was University of West Florida and the other was Duke. So at least I have an idea of what courses to look for in the beginning.
Selt1018

Title: Well hello Mister Fancypants

Return to Non-Reef Related Topics