"Blackbox" experiment

General reef discussion.

"Blackbox" experiment

Postby Tercel94 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi all,

Today I got 2 basic 16" "blackboxes" from SB Reef lights. Since I upgraded to my 75 gallon I was looking to change my previous lights that I knew weren't enough for my tank (1 AI prime and 2 whites and blue led that came with my 16g tank).
I found a Facebook group call: Chinese Blackbox LED Proof Group and almost all of the members have had good experiences with them and good grow specially with Mars Aqua and SB Reef. So I decided to give them a try since they are cheap and I saw so many people showing their good results.

I have seen that a few members from here either have them or have use them but I didn't saw a thread specifically for them so I decided it might be a good idea to start one and track my grow or (hope not) my failure.

Right now they're are under my canopy at the same high the old lights where 4"-6" above the water level. I started with 25% blues and 10% whites. I will raise them little by little with time like the manufacturer recommended. I do not dose my tank with anything, I just do water changes biweekly.

Here are some pics of the lights
ImageImageImage

Here is a FTS before the light upgrade(up) and after (down). You could see on the top pic the differences of the 2 lights.

Here are some random shots of my corals as baseline
ImageImageImage

I guess I will update maybe biweekly or monthly not really sure, just let me know what you guys think.

And obviously if the post is not permite I will delete the post.

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tercel94

Re: "Blackbox" experiment

Postby khh27 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 am

What was the price on the group buy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
khh27

Postby Tercel94 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:29 am

It was $99 for the basic, but the LED array "spectrum" is not the same LED array from the ones that they sell on their official page and don't have the 2 years warranty thru SB Reef. So I went with the ones directly from their page $130 I think

Tercel94

Re:

Postby Blecki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 am

Can't beat these guys for what you get for the price. If you have the $$ for them though, the high end lights still obliterate these.
Blecki

Re: Re:

Postby Meegwell » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Blecki wrote:Can't beat these guys for what you get for the price. If you have the $$ for them though, the high end lights still obliterate these.

I am curious where this has been shown/proven? "obliterate"? I fully understand functionality like dimming, Apex compatibility, bells, whistles, and build quality directly affecting price. What I have not seen after extensive research over the past year....is anywhere showing an apples to apples comparioson (watt output and spectrum combo) of black box vs. popular expensive LEDs showing any obvious, repeatable difference in coral growth or overall tank performance.

If I've missed it, please link to something that fits this criteria.

Now, someone who changes may fail due to the change itself, but that certainly could happen just as easily going from a black box rig to an expensive LED rig....
Meegwell

Re:

Postby neacewood » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:39 am

Updates?
Been a lot of lessons in my life. Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.
neacewood

Postby Tercel94 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:14 am

I will take a few pics today. But it looking good.

Tercel94

Postby Tercel94 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 pm

This guy (don't know the name) was brown base/brown polyps when I got it but the owner told me that it should be green base/brown polyps and after I changed the lights I changed the colors to the expected ones

Here are some other pics.
The pink digi is looking more robust and its showing signs of new grow (white tips)

Tercel94

Postby khh27 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Your no name is spongodes

khh27

Postby Tercel94 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:21 am

khh27 wrote:Your no name is spongodes

Thanks