I'm back baby!

General reef discussion.

I'm back baby!

Postby fuzzymks » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:51 pm

After a lengthy absence, I am returning to saltwater aquarium-ing. I was big into this starting back in '11 and ended up selling everything off in '19. Currently I have a big fat nothing, but I have been hot and heavy into tank research, and I think I am close to putting some money down on a new setup. I'll be honest, I forgot how much gear you really need to get this up and running! All that being said, at some point I'm going to need some local support to start building my stock up (ie. live rock, LPS, fish, gear, etc...) I noticed that the forum has died down quite a bit, but I'm hoping that this is still a good resource to get connected to other reefers.

So that's about it. I'm excited to get back into this, and hopefully I'll have something to show shortly.

-fuzzymks-
fuzzymks

Title: Monktastic

Re: I'm back baby!

Postby khh27 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:17 pm

What size tank are you looking at acquiring?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
khh27

Postby fuzzymks » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:41 pm

I'm looking into the 50+ range. Current front contender is the Red Sea Reefer 250 - 65 Gallon, and yes, it is kinda cheating to get a kit with everything (minus the pump, skimmer, heater), but I've priced out similar sized rimless tank at glasscages and custom aquariums, etc.. and the price difference is very interesting. To build a 60 gallon rimless, low iron glass tank, with all the necessary bits, I'm look at 3,200ish minimum (for all new gear) and that doesn't include a stand (which I've built loads of stands for next to nothing). The Red Sea...all in, brand new...is looking to be less than. 2800, and that's with main pump, Reef Octopus Skimmer, heater, mini controller and Maxspect lighting. My wife is not excited about the price, but again, I'm just window shopping. I definitely want to go rimless, but with the forum being so slow (hardly anything for sale in the hardware thread) it looks like buying new might be my only option.

Thoughts?
fuzzymks

Title: Monktastic

Postby khh27 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:47 pm

I have a reefer 350 I am SLOWLY putting together I like the res sea tanks. I have a maxspect razor 150 x or whatever and a ivc6 controller id me willing to sell

khh27

Postby khh27 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 pm

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

khh27

Postby angelsbeamer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Welcome back!!!!
Some people need a Cleaner Wrasse or else they have to wipe twice!

Angel and Kim
Current 80g rimless
angelsbeamer

Title: The Good Samaritan

Return to General Discussion